Monday, February 4, 2008

I Hope I Saw a President this Weekend!




I had such a fun, busy weekend! Saturday morning was spent going grocery shopping for my new diet (and for general food for everyone else in the house). On the way home, I heard that Barack Obama was going to be in St. Louis that night, and Hillary Clinton would be there on Sunday. Blake wasn't interested in going, and it would have been a challenge to take James. So, I went to both on my own.
The first one was the Obama rally at the Edward Jones Dome. 20,000 people were there, and judging by the traffic, each came in a car. The rally was fun, although not quite what I was looking for at this point. He had a lot to say about what he wanted to happen, but not the specifics that I like to hear. It probably didn't help that it was hard to hear, because the sound system echoed in the dome and I was behind him and had really bright lights shining in my eyes the entire time. He is an amazing, motivating speaker, and I would be quite happy if he won in November. The bottom photo is the best one I was able to get, on 11x zoom, using the head of the woman a few rows ahead of me to block some of the light.
Then Hillary. She had a town hall meeting at the Machinist Union building. They only let in 2000-3000, I'm not sure which. It was such a different atmosphere, with clear views of her and everything else. The photo of her listening to someone in the audience was taken with no zoom. This was a great setting to see her, as she was able to come out and give a brief speech, and then took questions from the audience. I was really impressed with how she responded to almost every question. She said what she had as a plan, and followed up with specifics on HOW she planned to implement the plan. I had heard that she really seems so much different and more personable when seen in these settings, and I truly felt that. I was excited and stayed afterwards as she was signing things for people, and ended up getting a picture with her! The camera was on the wrong setting, but I'm still so excited to have this photo. I'm hoping that it is a photo of me with our next president, but I will be happy to support either of the candidates I saw this weekend.
In other weekend events, Mizzou beat Kansas State, which came as a complete surprise to me! We are still down 3 players (all suspended, one injured), and KState just beat Kansas earlier in the week (which also brought me great joy). Last night we went to Blake's friend Derek's to see the Super Bowl. It was fun, and his niece was there. She is about 9 months younger than James, and they had fun playing. I was disappointed in the commercials, don't care for football, and didn't do my diet any favors, but had a lot of fun. Other than that "meal", my diet has gone well, and I think I was wrong in assuming the food would be bland. It's been pretty good!
By the way, I keep putting spaces between my paragraphs, and Blogger keeps taking them out!!!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Heather,
That is so cool that you saw both Hillary and Obama! We're headed to the Kansas caucus to caucus for Hillary tonight!

Anonymous said...

Heather, we didn't know how much you were involved in politics. Those are some pictures! We hope you saw the next president, too.

Debbie and Larry

Rachel said...

That's cool that you went and listened to both of them!!

Anonymous said...

Heather,
How coooooooool! I would love to see both of the candidates. I am so happy to hear that women have finally crossed the line and are standing up for Hillary, as well as others! We watched the voting coming in last night and feel like history is going to happen!

Deb

Sarah said...

I hope that you saw the next president, too! I currently like Obama a little bit better, but I'd vote for Hillary too. So cool that you got to see both of them!