Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Nutmeg June? 1994 -- May 13, 2008


It is so hard to post this, especially since it has only been a few months since Joey died. Nutmeg has been getting sicker and weaker, and yesterday we made the decision that it was too much for her and that she really wasn't happy. She was such a sweet dog. And she was so sensitive, which made it even harder on her when she wasn't feeling well. The older she got, the less she could do and enjoy. Her greatest joy was going for walks, and she didn't even want to do those anymore.


Nutmeg was so sweet and gentle. We never had to worry about her with James. She let him climb on her, pull her ears, and be just generally annoying. Just like she had been when Joey was a puppy and he would chew and hang on her lip. She just patiently waited them out.

Here are a couple of Nutmeg stories. They're from her active younger days, which I think she would be pretty proud of.

I got her from the Humane Society soon after buying a house. When I was looking at the house, there was a bunny in the back yard, which I took as a sign that it was a good place -- a place where bunnies could be happy. (My friend, Brian, said the realtor probably planted it there -- "she's coming, get the rabbit out") Well, within probably a week of getting Nutmeg, I opened the back door to let her back inside, and she was standing there with a dead rabbit in her mouth. I was horrified! I called Lori and Brian in tears, asking if their dog ever killed rabbits. They said that he tried, but wasn't fast enough. So, then I was torn between still being horrified, and being proud of my dog for being so fast. That was not the last rabbit to meet an early end. And there were also many birds. She didn't kill snakes, but she brought several into the house.

As a puppy, she never chewed when she was bored or lonely, like Joey did. She chewed when I was there and occupied with someone or something other than her. Like the day I was cooking dinner and saw her run through the kitchen, out the pet door and into the back yard with something in her mouth. That something was my bra, and she was running as fast as she could back and forth across the yard with my bra flapping in the breeze. Again, I was horrified. But, it was pretty funny.

That's the thing with Nutmeg: she could be so frustrating, but she was so sweet, gentle, and loving. I was lucky to have almost 14 years with her. We'll miss having her as a part of our family.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Heather, I am so sorry that you're having to go through all this. It's clear how much you love her. She sounds like a wonderful companion.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I'm so sorry to hear about Nutmeg. She was a wonderful dog --I didn't know you had lost Joey as well. I had always enjoyed your dogs -- they were such good little companions. I don't know if Lori told you, but we had to put Mario down about 2 months ago. He too was battling with significant health problems for quite some time and then the time came when it was clear that his quality of life had taken such a turn that we couldn't justify prolonging things just for our sake of avoiding the inevitable. For what it is worth, I'm proud of you that you did the right thing by Nutmeg -- even though it was sooo incredibly painful for you. I always swore to myself that I would not let Mario suffer in the end. He had been such a wonderful dog to me -- just as Nutmeg had been to you -- that I had to take care of him. I hope you find a special place to bury Nutmeg. We had Mario cremated and he will be buried on the big hill in front of our house where he could survery the surrounding neighborhood -- I know he would have really liked that :)

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Nutmeg was so special. I remember most when James was little that he would go in and lay right beneath his crib in the apartment. I knew Nutmet loved you and your family deeply. We will miss her, too.

Things have not been very fun lately. I'm sorry you and Blake have to go through this hard time right now.

We think of you guys daily and love you very much.

Love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Heather
I thought Nutmeg was a beautiful dog and I know you will miss her. You did the right thing and you gave her a wonderful life!! I'll be thinking about you!

Lisa

Jen said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Nutmeg! I really enjoyed reading your stories of her and that picture of her under James' swing is adorable. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I'm very sorry to hear about Nutmeg. I think she and Mario were the last left our "our groups" first pets.....Time surely marches on with sometimes sad markers; but we get to keep the memories of those we lose in our heads. Like Therese I'm proud of you for putting Nutmegs comfort first. I could tell when I visited she was not doing well. You did the absolute right thing. Love you and thinking about you often. Lori

Beth said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. Dogs certainly fill a special place in our lives and it makes it that much harder when we have to let them go. I love the stories about her younger days - she reminds me of our youngest lab, Meg.
Thinking of you-