Friday, May 9, 2008

Thank you, Dora, Diego, and the Wonder Pets

We went back to the plastic surgeon today. He took the remaining stitches out of James' lip and said that he was healing well. It's still red and scabbed, so he wasn't able to completely determine that the line between the red lip and the white skin was perfectly aligned, but we're hopeful. And, there is no sign of infection, and at this point there's little risk of that. So, that's the good news. The bad news is that he still can't run, jump, play with other kids (unless they play quietly -- this doctor mostly works with adults, so doesn't seem to understand the life of a 2-year-old), pucker, smile or laugh, open his mouth wide, use a straw, or take big bites. Basically, these restrictions stay in place for the rest of May.

This week has been very rough for me, because it is stressful to try to limit his activities so much, and to be constantly worried that he is going to accidentally do something that reopens the wound. It's been tough for James, because he's getting cabin fever. Only the basics are getting done around the house, because I pretty much have to have him within arms reach and only moving slowly any time he's awake. And when he's asleep, I need a little down time for myself. The rest of the month looks like it will continue to be tough, but at least we don't have to worry about infection and about little bumps from toys, or him touching it. We've been spending a lot of time watching videos on NickJr. online. James has a new favorite every day (yesterday it was Dora, today Diego, last week it was Kai-Lan -- he is now tri-lingual). And those times when he just sits and watches them over and over are the only times we really don't have to worry. So, I am either a terrible mother for giving him too much screen time, or I'm a wonderful mother for finding him things he enjoys that keep him safe during this time. At least we do coloring, playdoh, and books, too!

A downer post, but at least things are moving in the right direction!

A brief mention of recent fun things we did before this happened (that I alluded to in the previous post): I had a really great time at The Melting Pot with Lori. It's been a LONG time since I've been able to sit down and talk with her (or just about any other adult) for an extended time, and it was great. Also, she agreed to be my maid of honor at the wedding! The next day, James and I met Lori and our friends Therese and Dave and their son Nate, who is the same age as James, at the zoo. We had just about perfect weather and it was a fun time. I was excited to take James to the new dinosaur exhibit there, but when they roared it scared him and we had to leave. The next day, my friend Meg was in town, and we met her for lunch. Again, it was nice to talk to someone from "home", although most of the time we spent talking about kids . . .

We've also been going to the local coffee shop more, since it is a nice walk and we like to support a local business. Especially since Starbuck's keeps trying to push Pike's Place on us by not offering a bold coffee.

That is all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I hate to hear all this about James. That is rough on both him and you. But, that seems to be part of our job as Mommy -- worry, worry, worry. I remember when I was pregnant with Nate and I fretted to my sister-in-law that I couldn't wait until Nate was born so that I wouldn't worry anymore about how the pregnancy would turn out. She told me, "Therese, this is the time when this baby will be the easiest to take care of, the worry really starts once they're born." Boy, is that sentiment true!!

We had a great time at the zoo, as well. Nate sure did enjoy himself. It still amazes me to see your child and my child playing together. Go back twelve years and we sure never would have predicted that one!

Anonymous said...

Heather, your blog sounded encouraging concerning James. We have been wondering about how the doctor's appointment went. There are a lot of videos out there. James, I'm sure will know many new cartoon characters. We're thinking about you guys. Happy Mother's Day. Larry

Mom/Janice said...

Heather, thanks for keeping us updated on James. Sounds like he is making progress which is good. Remember when you read that book I wrote you for Christmas and your observation was, "Gee, I didn't know you worried so much about me!" Well, now you understand how mothers are!

I love you and wish you a calm and happy Mother's Day. See you Friday--you and Blake need to plan some adult time while I am there to babysit.

Love, Mom

Danielle said...

Heather,
I hope James has a speedy recovery and that you and Blake have some down time soon. Your wedding plans sure sound exciting!


Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that James is healing and its hard to keep them down and quiet but you're doing a great job!!

I'm hoping that you can get past this soon and enjoy planning that wedding...so many fun details!!!