Sunday, July 20, 2008

But, I didn't have my camera!

It was such a fun weekend for us. Blake left early enough on Friday to be here before James went to bed. Then we kept him up really late going out for Pizza. Pappi's Pizza was so fun! It is an old place, with lots of fun places for kids to run around, and it was really empty when we got there, so he could play while we talked and watched from more of a distance. Apparently they are busier during the week. Works for us. There was also a park with a playground next door, where we started.

The sad part was realizing just how much James misses Blake and is confused about the move. All week long, he keeps asking, "Where's Daddy?" and I tell him that Daddy is in St. Louis working and that we'll see him on Saturday. When he asks again, I ask him the question and he is able to give me the correct answer and seems happier. Well, when we left the pizza place, Blake was in a different car. James immediately started asking where Daddy was. So I told him Daddy was behind us in his car and that we'd see him at home in a few minutes. Over and over. When I asked James to tell me where Daddy was, he had an almost panicked voice, saying "I DON'T KNOW!" Later, when I tried it again, he said, "Daddy's gone". It was the most heartbreaking 10 minute car ride ever. But, once we all got home, we had a great weekend.

On Saturday, we went for breakfast at the coffee shop, then for a long (2 1/2 hour) walk on the trail by the lake. That was so much fun, but exhausting. Blake kept saying it was just a little way more to the rest stop with the water fountain. Finally, he realized that he'd never walked the trail, always used his bike, and that it's much faster on a bike. We did finally get to the spot to rest and refill our waters. And we took a shortcut back to the car.

Lunch was at Planet Sub, and it was really good. Then on to visit with Blake's grandparents. This may have been the only time we've been there without EVERYONE else in his family being there, too, since we are usually only there for major holidays. It was fun, and they always get out good toys for James to play with.

We stopped at the store, got some food to grill, and headed to the pool. James had a great time, and wants to go back again today. However, Blake informs me that I need to relax a little, that he always has James, and that James will be fine. I should point out now that I need to stop reading articles and watching shows about kids who have extremely rare accidents or illnesses. If I haven't heard of it before that article, this particular malady is not going to happen to my child. So, I am relaxing now. Sort of.

Today was more laid back. We went to Barnes and Noble so James could play with the trains. Then we had lunch at 54th Street Bar and Grill. We've always liked this place, but not this particular restaurant, and not today. Oh well, at least the rest of the weekend was good.

Blake left during nap time, and James slept well, since he knew Daddy would be gone and he didn't need to wake up early. Two more people have seen our house, and the first ones liked it. We don't know about the second. We're really hoping for good news on that soon. The people who liked it last week apparently didn't have good enough credit.

One more week and Blake will be done with work and up here for good. We Can't Wait!!! And, since I kept forgetting to take the camera to all of the fun things we did this weekend, it's nice to know that we will be able to do them all again soon. Except 54th Street Bar and Grill.

5 comments:

Beth said...

It's so hard to get kids to understand stuff like that. Probably harder on you than it is on James. Probably hard on Blake, too. Hoping your house sells quickly and your family can be together permanently!

Danielle said...

Sounds like you had a great time! We are heading back to KC right now--still in Wisconsin. We miss you all!

Rachel said...

Yeah its hard for kids to understand that but you're doing a good job explaining it to him...I hope the family can get together quickly!!!

Chris said...

Heather,
I have read your comments for the past few months and got caught up... .... sorry about Nutmeg...
I am sorry that I didnt' get to see you before you left..It is wonderful that you sold your house so fast....
My best to all of you and give James a kiss....
Keep in touch,
Love ya's,
chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, just catching up, gosh you have been busy! So glad you are liking your apartment and that you will all be back together soon. Sue