Friday, December 14, 2007

Joey March ?, 1996 - December 13, 2007

OK, this is about the saddest thing we've experienced. And we would like to take a little time to talk about Joey, the sweetest, most loyal, devoted dog. In 1996, my friends Tracy and Jen had a stray wander to them, but they already had 2 dogs, who were not welcoming of an intruder. So, they asked if I would like another dog. I said no, because Nutmeg was plenty, but that I'd take a look at him, anyway. Sucker. As soon as I saw him, I was a goner. He was too sweet and adorable to resist. I don't know what kind of dog Joey is, but my favorite guess that anyone ever made was "lab/chihuahua".


Joey was a smart dog, and very devoted. We were so impressed with how he was always right next to me throughout my difficult pregnancy. For the 3 months that I didn't sleep well at home, neither did Joey. In pretty much every picture we have of him, he is either looking at the person taking the camera, or at one of us in the room. He lived for attention from us. He also lived for food that was accidentally dropped. He wasn't a big fan of James, once James got big enough to move around and chase him, but he sure liked that kid at mealtimes, when James would feed him.


Joey was very easy-going. Blake liked to dress him up -- for holidays, in t-shirts, towels, whatever. I considered this a great indignity. But, Joey loved it.


If Joey were bred or cloned, he would be extremely popular. He was popular with us, and we will miss him so much. We love you, Joey.

For those of you whom have never had an indoor dog having a dog like Joey will change your life. Joey was so loving and we will miss him.

(If you knew Joey and are reading this, we'd love it if you'd leave a comment. Or even if you didn't know him. He was a very special dog.)









9 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry. He was such a good friend to you; I can't imagine the loss.

Anonymous said...

Heather,

I'm sorry to hear about Joey. The special dogs are always the ones who always want to be in the same room as you. Joey had a good life and he was lucky to have stumbled across you.

David

Mom/Janice said...

How sad to have lost such a good companion! Of course I remember the baby nursery picture quite well and laughed at the time that Joey insisted on being in the picture, but that's how he was. But you have many photos of him and the great memories.

Mom

Anonymous said...

When I saw his picture, I knew. I'm crying right now. Joey was one of the best dogs I met. I loved his perfectly lined eyes like he had perfectly applied eyeliner. I'm so sorry Heather, Blake and James. We will be thinking of you.

Bud and Lisa

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Heather and I know how much animals come to be part of our lives!! Joey sounds like a very special dog and he also sounds very blessed to have been part of your family!! I'm so sorry....

Raelynn said...

Hugs to you and your family. From another dog lover.

Danielle said...

Heather,
I'm so sorry about the loss of Joey. He was a truly loyal pet that loved you very much.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed experiencing the change in Joey's acceptance of me from when first meeting me he was quite anxious to over the past several months when he would come to me when I called to let him out for a restroom break and when I called him to come back into the house. It's easy to see how special Joey was for all of you. Larry

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I indeed know how special, loyal, kind Joey was to YOU and then accepting of Blake.... When I took the "family" picture of you, Blake, Joey & Nutmeg at your apartment for your Moms on mother's Day.....Joey was the most cooperative.....now, Nutmeg is another story with the camera... I know you will miss him as he was so devoted to you during your pregnancy and missed you when you were in the hospital so long. (I also remember when Blake would bring him to the hospital to visit with you)
My love to you and sympathy for your precious Joey....
Chris