Thursday, June 12, 2008

Well, THAT's a Relief!


I know the instructions said it would take 7-10 days for the butterfly to emerge, but I was getting nervous. And James was losing interest, now that the caterpillar was no longer pooping. But, yesterday morning, when I looked in the box, where there had been a plain cocoon, there was now a butterfly standing. While I looked, it was dripping the red meconium. Which may mean that it was actually emerging from the cocoon as I was 4 feet away exercising. Rats! It would have been so much more fun to see the butterfly emerge than to do cardio. But I got James up and we got to see it flap its wings to dry them. Eventually it crawled around the box. In this picture, it is on the cotton ball that I soaked with sugar water for it. I must admit, I was completely fascinated by it much of the day. James was too, but for briefer periods. The instructions said that you could keep it for 2 days, but I felt bad for it, because it really looked like it was trying to get out of the box. And I was afraid of something happening to it. So, late afternoon Blake came out and we let it go. I tried to get a picture of that, but butterflies are fast. Especially when trying to escape their captor.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That is SOO cool!!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, that really is cool Heather, my kids would love to watch something like that (so would I actually!). Wonder if ARAMEX would deliver a kit?! Sue