Thursday, October 11, 2007

Reflection Time

On an assignment, which fits well with the title of this blog, here are some reflections about my life, where I was and where I am going.

10 years ago -- I had just started working back at Mid-Mo Mental Health Center. I was returning to the site of my first job as an Occupational Therapist. When I came back to that job, I made some wonderful friends. I had been in my house for 2-3 years at that point, and had 2 cats, Aslan and Mica, and 2 dogs, Nutmeg and Joey. I wish I'd had a blog then, because I'd be able to remember so much more!

5 years ago -- I was still working at Mid-Mo, and had been the director of the department for about 4 years. Working with my higher-ups wasn't always easy, but I was fortunate to work with wonderful people in my department. Still in my home, with my wonderful pets. At this time, I was training for my first marathon, to be done in Honolulu in December.

3 years ago -- I met Blake while hanging out at a coffee shop, waiting for car repairs to be completed. I didn't realize at the time, what a huge event that would turn out to be. Still at Mid-Mo, still in my home. I was sad during this time, as my cat Aslan quickly became very sick and had to be put to sleep.

1 year ago -- James had just turned 1! Blake and I had been in our home for just a few months. We had to have Mica put to sleep, which was very difficult for me. I was still getting used to my job as stay-at-home-mom, which always seemed to be changing. I also had found our playgroup, which was helping me to make friends.

Now -- I feel at home in the St. Louis area, and comfortable in my job. James is 2, and learning and surprising me every day. We still have Nutmeg and Joey, and are cat-sitting Amos for a year. The biggest change is that Blake and I are engaged! I did not really plan on this as my life 10 years ago, and I wouldn't change a thing!!!

5 years from now -- James will be 7 and in school. Blake and I will be married. By that time, we should be much more settled in terms of finances and responsibilities. I don't know how my career will pan out. I am preparing to be able to work as an occupational therapist, but don't know if jobs in mental health will be there. I am remaining open minded about my options. I would hope that Nutmeg and Joey would still be with us, but they are already pretty old for dogs.

10 years from now -- James will be 12, I will be older than I've tended to think about for myself. Blake and I will have been together for a long time. By that time, we may be living anywhere. My biggest goal will be to work at our lives being happy. I am happy that I have started this blog, and that I scrapbook, because I will have documented our lives. I like that. I miss not having easier access to the reminders of my past.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

So fun to read more things about you...enjoyed that post!!!

Jenni said...

so fun to read about your life! I didn't know you were working to be an OT---that's great! My DS saw one for a year and it was so great!